Friday 5 June 2009

Painted Lady

This week it was reported in the UK that we are being invaded by a beautiful butterfly called Painted Lady.image

The Painted Lady is a long-distance migrant, which causes the most spectacular butterfly migrations observed in Britain and Ireland.

Each year, it spreads northwards from the desert fringes of North Africa, the Middle East, and central Asia, across mainland Europe and reaching Britain and Ireland. In some years it is an abundant butterfly, frequenting gardens and other flowery places in late summer.  Well, this year, for whatever reason they have decided to come in their droves!  We even had one visit us whilst we were sitting in our conservatory reading the Sunday papers.  Luckily, we were able to release it back into our garden so that it could fly away to join its mates.  Apparently, they thrive on the common Thistle plant which grows in abundance everywhere.

In honour of this beautiful migrant I thought I would search the Design Style Guide team for further examples of butterflies.  Here is what I found!

image

Butterfly Garden Original Oil Painting

by

Loves2paint

 

 

 

image

Blue Butterfly on Bevel Suncatcher

by

Sundance Reflections

 

 

image

Colorful Butterfly Window Cling Suncatcher with Stained Glass Effects

by

Clinging Images

 

 

image

Butterfly Pillowcases

by

The Closet and Curio Shop

 


image

Embroidered Clock, Floral Garden and Butterflies

by
Satin Stitchery

 

 

You can tell I like butterflies, can’t you?

2 comments:

Rose said...

Oh I love butterflies too! Been trying to get some photos of the Hawaiian monarch. We have a few that come around our house. I know a spot where there are a lot more. Hope to get there soon with my camera!

Send flowers said...

Wow, i love butterfly oil painting. its so interesting..
Buy flowers online

Sale Corner!

Occasionally I will show items that are for sale from me direct which can be paid for using Paypal. Always check to see shipping charges which will need to be added to the item amount!

For regular prices check out my Etsy shop, as well as my sister shop on Etsy which also sells encaustic art http://onawhimsey.etsy.com

Some paintings can be bought directly from my website http://onawhimsey.com

Some samples of my present & past work to give you inspiration for that special gift!

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Precious Quilts. Make your own badge here.