Friday 8 June 2007

Muscat, Oman

I don't know if many of you have heard of a small country in the Middle East called Oman? Well, I lived there for a few years in the early 1980's. It has to be the most beautiful land, sea contrasting with the mountains. Historically Oman is so rich and the people are lovely and genuine.

The reason I want to bring this country to your attention is that they suffered a major weather storm, cyclone, within the last few days when around 20 people were reported to have died. I remember in 1981 when they had the last serious one. The whole place was in chaos.

The airport was closed, dried up rivers flooded the surrounding countryside. A pilot in an aircraft overflying the airport was advised to watch out for cars being swept out to sea!

Luckily were we lived in Medinat Qaboos we were spared the worst. In fact I remember the house below us had all the mud from our garden flow into their back yard and into their kitchen...mmmmmmm.

1 comment:

Alis Clair said...

You know, we here so much about disasters in bigger countries but hardly hear anything at all about the smaller ones.
20 people seems a small number but actually in a country like Oman that must be devastating.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time there though.

Sale Corner!

Occasionally I will show items that are for sale from me direct which can be paid for using Paypal. Always check to see shipping charges which will need to be added to the item amount!

For regular prices check out my Etsy shop, as well as my sister shop on Etsy which also sells encaustic art http://onawhimsey.etsy.com

Some paintings can be bought directly from my website http://onawhimsey.com

Some samples of my present & past work to give you inspiration for that special gift!

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Precious Quilts. Make your own badge here.