Tuesday 20 May 2008

A new venture - well sort of!

Every evening when I sign off from an Etsy group I belong to (BBEST which stands for Boomers and Beyond Etsy Street Team) I always describe what we are going to eat that evening. It has become a sort of signature that folks like to see.

So, thinking cap on and always trying to find new ideas I was struck by a thunderbolt! Ouch!!! Well, it was an idea really that I mulled around my mind for ages trying to think of ways of presenting it. Eventually, I discussed the idea with DH and a good friend - just to bounce the ideas off them! Lots of encouragement so I thought I would go for it!!

The idea was to pick a typically British dish, research its history to find out how it came about or how it was served down the years. Once I had done that, I wanted to write down the recipe... now this was the hard bit! I am the sort of cook who adds a bit of this, a pinch of that etc. Here I would have to discipline myself into thinking like a novice or someone who enjoyed cooking but was clueless about this particular recipe!

After much typing, deleting, restarting - thank goodness for wordprocessing. Used to do this sort of thing with pen and paper, and not a quill pen either before someone adds that quip!

TADA, as good friend would say! Voila my first presentation, my first recipe under the flag of True British Fayre - the humble Cottage pie. Once I was happy with the format, typing, wording and had tweaked it one more time, I transferred the document into a pdf one. Now to list it in my Etsy shop.

Well, within a few moments of listing and letting my friends know about it..... it disappeared off my screen! Oh goodness, what happened? Panic!!!!! Fear not! It was sold! I sent an email with the attached pdf file and quickly relisted....... gone! This time was advised to list the recipe but say there were more copies so that it wouldn't fall of the edge leaving a gap.

I was so excited! The encouragement I received from family and friends alike has been wonderful, thank you!

Now I am going to research more traditional British recipes and list them numerically in the series. It really is so exciting to think of an idea, implement it and then find others are enjoying it to!!!! So, off to the next one, could be a ......................, you'll just have to wait and see!

No comments:

Sale Corner!

Occasionally I will show items that are for sale from me direct which can be paid for using Paypal. Always check to see shipping charges which will need to be added to the item amount!

For regular prices check out my Etsy shop, as well as my sister shop on Etsy which also sells encaustic art http://onawhimsey.etsy.com

Some paintings can be bought directly from my website http://onawhimsey.com

Some samples of my present & past work to give you inspiration for that special gift!

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Precious Quilts. Make your own badge here.