Monday 9 February 2009

A quiltie swap

Being part of a mixed fibre/textile group can be daunting!  Well, for me anyway!  I am still very much finding my feet and learning what to do with various textiles etc.  So, I took the bull by the horns and decided to join in this month's challenge of creating a 5" quiltie under the title of Abstract.

Mindful that February also stands for Valentine I thought I would try to capture the feeling of romanticism by including some hearts.
  fron bettert

I had some red felt left over from a previous project onto which I blanket stitched some hearts.  Each heart was embellished with beads whilst the larger of the hearts had a lazy daisy stitch onto which I embroidered beads too!  Then I had some pretty ribbon left over which I attached.  Looking around my room I spotted a small gauze bag that had been used to hold the soap tablet in the washing machine.  This was cut up to fit the quiltie.  Now I had to add a little interest so decided on some glittery gold and purly snow flakes that I had used on some homemade cards!  The look was completed with a blanket stitch around the quiltie and embellished with more white beads!

I always love to see what others have achieved or created and wonder at their expertise!  Their creations always look so professional but I will continue to keep on and through trial and error will, one day, try to reach a better creation. Meanwhile, back to the drawing board!  I might even experiment a little more and might be able to produce something better.  We shall see!


2 comments:

Chrissie said...

Great start Pat - I love the little hearts! And very inventive with the soap bag too!

Alis Clair said...

Great work Pat, you really have caught the feel of Valentines day.
Love your edging makes me want to touch it.

We all learn something when making art no matter how long we have been doing it. That is the beauty of it all.

Sale Corner!

Occasionally I will show items that are for sale from me direct which can be paid for using Paypal. Always check to see shipping charges which will need to be added to the item amount!

For regular prices check out my Etsy shop, as well as my sister shop on Etsy which also sells encaustic art http://onawhimsey.etsy.com

Some paintings can be bought directly from my website http://onawhimsey.com

Some samples of my present & past work to give you inspiration for that special gift!

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Precious Quilts. Make your own badge here.