Tuesday 31 July 2007

Vintage quilt from 1980s














Another quilt that I wanted to share with you.

In the 1980s I made (HAND made) this entire quilt hand sewing between 700-800 hexagons together into that time honoured patchwork pattern called Grandmother's Garden. I used Liberty fabrics in blue, pink and green. Once all the hexagons had been sewn I hand quilted all the hexagon flowers along with some of the green hexagons and then a border. Even the pink edging of the quilt is totally hand sewn.

I then gave this to my mother in law who sadly passed away recently at the grand old age of 90 years.

To be honest I would only keep it in its own dustbag in the cupboard which would be a crying shame so my husband and I decided that it would be better to sell it to someone who, hopefully, would fully appreciate it. The money we received for it would go towards a garden bench which we need. This would really remind us of her and would be constantly used (weather permitting). Otherwise this quilt would sit in the wardrobe and then when it was our time to go the kids would likely so the same which would be a shame!

I have it on Ebay under the user ID of 'eireblue' starting at a low amount. Let's see what it will go for! Will keep you updated. I don't expect much as it was well used and loved but you never know.

2 comments:

Sugarloaf said...

That's lovely! hope you get lots of bids on it!!

Debra said...

You have some beautiful quilts! My Grandmother is 93 years old and use to quilt. I can remember when I was a little girl, her and all her friends would get together and quilt in the living room. I miss those days!

Take care,
Debra

Sale Corner!

Occasionally I will show items that are for sale from me direct which can be paid for using Paypal. Always check to see shipping charges which will need to be added to the item amount!

For regular prices check out my Etsy shop, as well as my sister shop on Etsy which also sells encaustic art http://onawhimsey.etsy.com

Some paintings can be bought directly from my website http://onawhimsey.com

Some samples of my present & past work to give you inspiration for that special gift!

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Precious Quilts. Make your own badge here.